Monday, June 23, 2008

A Baby Story

Ok, so as you all know from the previous post our little one is here! I know some of you already know this story, but for those who have not yet heard the story here it is...

On Friday the 13th I headed off to the doctor for my final check up. I had been dilated to a 4 for about a week and was 80% effaced. The doctor checked me, nothing had changed. We decided to aggravate my cervix to try to get labor going (OUCH!!!!!!!) And if that didn't work she would schedule me to be induced on the 14th (Saturday.) As soon as she finished I began feeling some VERY hard contractions. She suggested I either go over to labor and delivery (I was at the hospital) or stay and walk the halls for half and hour or so to see if my contractions continued. I opted for the walking...I did not want to get hooked up to the machines and get my hopes up just to be sent home. After about 20 mins of walking the halls at the hospital I decided to go home. I was having some serious contractions, but I was hungry (it was lunch time) and for those of you that don't know me...my tummy is in control!! :) I got home and the contractions continued through the rest of the day, but never were consistent. Finally that night they just stopped. I had the BEST night sleep I'd had in a long time on Friday.

Saturday morning the alarm went off at 6:30. I called the hospital to confirm my time for being induced. They had to push us back and hour from 7:30 to 8:30, but that was fine by me. Another hour of sleep, shower, breakfast, pack the bags, and we were off to the hospital. We finally got there and got hooked up to everything at about 9:30. The nurse checked me and told me I was dilated to a 5 so I could have my epidural anytime I wanted. I opted to wait a while. At about 10:30 I decided to get my epidural even though I still wasn't in much pain. At 11:30 or so my doctor came in and broke my water... this was a turning point for me. Although I had my epidural it was not enough. I began changing stages so quickly I must have broken some records! Within a matter of an hour I was complete and ready to push! And let me just say that that hour was the worst pain I've ever felt! Poor Brian just stood there and held my hand not knowing what to do. My Anaesthesiologist was in a c-section and couldn't come give me a booster. Finally at about 12:45 he came running into the room and gave me the boost. It took about 10 mins to start working, but it was worth it. By the time I was ready to push I was happy as I could be! While I was pushing the nurse even commented on how she has never seen a woman in labor PUSHING and smiling. :) I pushed a few times...maybe 10 and Carson was born!!

During the whole process Brian and I were working on his name. Brian grabbed a name book that was there at the hospital and we compiled a list of about 8 names. After taking a poll from the doctors and nurses we each took a turn crossing off one name, until we had 2 left. After he was born we decided Carson fit him best!

We took Abby with us and she was a trooper; she even got to see Life Flight take off and land a few times just outside our window! My mom met us at the hospital and took care of Abby during the "rough" times. :) Thanks again Mom!!

After going through this process 3 times now I still marvel at what a miracle it is to bring a new life into the world. To my 3 miracles (Adyson, Abigayle, and Carson)... I love you all, and hope you have wonderful lives where ever they may take you!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erinn, that is so precious! I really want to have another baby but I have to wait to find out what's going on with Nursing School and ROTC. COngratulations with the babe. He is beautiful/handsome! He looks perfect. Lots of love from the Merkleys!

Anonymous said...

You know we have just about the cutest grandkids ever, we love them all and i was sooooo excited to see Adyson's picture here, we truly feel that her family is just an extension of our own. kiss Abby and Carson for me. see you soon
love
Gaga

Mical said...

Your labor story is so similar to mine it is scary! I went from a 5 to a 10 in an hour with no drugs, my anesthesiologist was also in a c-section and then came and gave me a booster just in time to push. Definatley not my favorite delivery! Cute pictures and I love the name Carson. :)

Rasmussen Family said...

Erinn you are making me really not want to go through labor:) But, its worth it when they get here. He is a little cutie patootie! I'm glad that abby is nice to him. I can't believe that how big Adyson is. That's crazy! I love you!